Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Diary Entry 76: Saigon, Monday Night, 11 October 1965

                                          Saigon
                                                                                          Monday Night, 11 October 1965
 

Well, I’m feeling much better tonight.  Just a teensy bit weak and am tired but my stomach is now okay and am eating well again.  The medicine they give you to counter dysentery is a new type which is quite powerful, the doctor told me.  They are now running some controlled experiments on prevention of amoebic dysentery which if successful will be a big breakthrough for military personnel who have to serve in the Pacific.  You are supposed (in the experiment) to take 4 pills a day which will kill any amoeba introduced into your system.  So far they don’t have enough proof that it works.  If the controlled experiments are successful and there are no bad side effects, they will start everyone in Vietnam on the procedure. 

I won’t be changing jobs.  Will remain where I am, but the job may change.  However, Colonel Tooley’s outfit now won’t be here until after Jan 66, so it looks like I’ll have to keep my hands on the reins until he gets enough people to run the job.  I am always careful.  Never go up in a plane without a parachute and make the pilot fly so high that we need oxygen.  Otherwise, I just go from hotel to office to eat and between places my Vietnamese Secret Service Agent follows at a discreet distance.  Don’t ever intend to get careless as that is the way people get hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment